"I think you love rocks so much that they've replaced your brain." — Rex Pieper.

"I think you love rocks so much that they've replaced your brain." — Rex Pieper.

Thursday 7 July 2011

News!

Firstly, I'd like to make an apology. I haven't been updating this blog as regularly as I'd first hoped, but since discovering Tumblr, most of my musings have gone on there ;) Yet, I promise that (since this has a counter of the number of people who've read my blog and is therefore basically a massive ego massage for me) any proper proper surgery updates will still be featured right here, as well as the path to recovery!

This should mean that, in theory, there will be a lot more posts coming this way soon :)

Secondly, I thought I’d just let everyone know that my surgery went well, there were no complications, and I’m now relaxing in a hospital bed :) Also, I had toad in the hole for dinner ;) Bonus ;)

The most incredible part though was that, while I was expecting a general anesthetic, I actually got a spinal as well as some more local for the knee, so I got to watch the whole thing!

So, you have been warned ;) If you want to hear about the operation, just carry on reading, but if you’re a wimp, just be happy that I’m okay and send your love my way :)

Are you sitting comfortably?

Then I'll begin...


Hello, hardcore readers!

I know what you’re here for.. Juicy details of surgery, aren’t you? I know your game ;) Well, you’ve come to the right place :)

Basically, the surgery involved firstly putting a camera inside my knee joint, and the surgeon showed me that my kneecap is resting on the side of the groove of the knee, not actually in the groove itself, and he dislocated it to show me what it looked like from the inside, which was incredibly interesting!

From there, they made a small cut to access my thigh, before taking out a tendon, and using this as the replacement ligament for my knee. They drilled into my kneecap, and threaded it through, before drilling all the way through (yes ALL THE WAY THROUGH) my thigh bone. This was probably the most disgusting bit of the whole hour, as I watched the drill push its way out of my skin (I told you this bit was only for hardcore readers), and when this was done, the tendon was threaded through and everything firmly anchored down

The result - one stable kneecap :)

No comments:

Post a Comment